Thursday, January 24, 2008

When Did It Become Wrong To Be A Professional Female?

I got a shock twice in the last two days. Tuesday, my Critical Thinking class was talking about schedules and how to get things done and one female student asked me when do I find time to cook for my husband. I said it's not for them to know, but I am not married and if I was, I'd expect him to know how to cook, too, so that whoever is home first can begin the meal.

One young man said "That's why I only date girls who were raised right". ?

"You know, Prof., like in the '50s when women were taught how to cook, clean, raise children, and take care of her man." I pointed out that he is African-American and would not be in the classroom if this was the 1950s and that didn't phase him much.

A few other 20-23 yr. olds agreed with him and said they want a woman who can work and do all of the things a home needs. I said "What will you do?" and they said "Well, I'll be working". I asked if it's fair for the woman to have to work and run a home and they said "Sure because that's her job".

Then, last night, my lit. class read "The Storm" by Chopin, and in the story, a husband goes to the store, running an errand, takes the child with him, and even buys her shrimp because she likes it. The wife is home, tending to the house, riding out a storm when an old boyfriend shows up and....well....things happen and he leaves, she is happy, and the husband is none the wiser.

The men said "What kind of man runs errands? And why would he take the child? He was so whipped. What a loser". And it began again. Women should be home....tending to things. Not working, taking care of the children, taking care of her man. And these men were much older than 23.

So, have I gone about my life all wrong? Was I not 'raised right' because I work and will give 100% and expect the man to give 100% too? If these men were all over 50 yrs old, I would have maybe taken it with a grain of salt, but the ages ranged from 20 up to early 40s. Is this why I don't have a boyfriend? Is this why things don't work out on the dates I have had? It's as if life, as I thought I knew it, is falling to pieces.