Wednesday, January 23, 2008

TCA Bootcamp Part II

5:00 came way too soon and I had not really recovered from the first day. I woke up with anxiety and felt sick all over again and couldn't figure out why I was getting back on that stupid train to go in and feel worse about myself. But I am one of those people that if I pay $10 to see a bad film, I will sit through it to get my money's worth. And this course was way more than a movie ticket. So I had to get every nickel out of it.

I was the first to arrive. AP was right behind me. A few others came in and we chatted about what to do with our pieces. I have no idea how to storyboard. Yes, I teach English. And yes I instruct people every semester how to write an essay. But for some reason I can not get this pattern down. It's not that different but it is so hard for me.

Close to 9:00, MT arrived! I was so happy to see her and said I was afraid she wasn't coming back. She laughed and said she had been rejected so many times and the instructors decided to send her down to the East Village to find a shop. What? Send a complete stranger who has never been to NYC before on the subways to the EV? Well, she ended up getting lost and just called and decided to look for stories and crash. She hadn't found a story as of Friday morning and would be going out while we were learning editing.

We had a guest speaker for the morning. The producer of the 'Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations' was there and had some interesting tales to tell.

Then it was time to edit. And that is what we did. 12 of us went to a tiny room and had two instructors there to assist us with Final Cut Pro. I am still trying to figure out how to turn a Mac on and they want me to follow this "Pro" edition. Yeah, right. Thank goodness a man named Steve was there to help. He was so patient and explained it in terms 'an idiot' could follow. I felt a bit better. I edited my piece together and then found out we had to do voice overs. Huh? When did they say that? I was told to come up with like three lines and go wait to record in the sound booth. UGH!

I did it and apparently I spoke too close to the mic so there's a static-popping sound with some of my words. Who cares? I was thrilled to finish a piece. We screened as a group and some of these people had AMAZING work! And then I remembered that many of them have done things like this before. Have taken a class or two, have the equipment, or have done something in the media world. So while mine looked like that of a beginner (a bad one at that) I had to remind myself that many of these people had done this in some capacity.

MR wasn't as harsh as I had anticipated. He said I had good camera angles. But he also said that my character was "f'n flat' and 'why the hell would you put him on the screen"? I had no idea. I really didn't. I was just glad someone would cooperate with me. My concern was my voice! I sounded so Queens-y. It was horrible. And I said that. And asked me where I was from and I said LI. And he asked "Where" and I said "Nassau" and he probed again and I said Hix and he was from Seaford. Small world! That didn't help me though. I hated my track. Oh well.

That was the end of Day 2. Only two more to go and that was questionable.