Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Happy Belated to Dad

With my dad's birthday being exactly one week before Christmas, it can sometimes be hard to go out to dinner and celebrate. And, usually, that week between his birthday and the holiday, he has at least six or seven parties to attend out......meaning he is so sick of restaurant food and we wait until after the New Year to go out and celebrate.

Last night was the night. The four of us headed over to the West End Cafe. A pretty little place, quite cozy, tucked in the back of a shopping center on Glen Cove Road. I've seen the sign many times but never went in. He was given a gift certificate there and said we should use that to pay the bill.

We looked at the menu and found that dinners began at $19 and appetizers were all in the $9-10 range. And yet, since it was still early (6pm reservations) we got the twilight menu. It was $27.95 for an appetizer, entree, and dessert. And almost everything on the menu is on this one, too. Sweet! I got the jumbo shrimp and crab meat lump cake with mango and pineapple salsa, an organic chicken with garlic potatoes, white turnips, onions and carrots, and the white chocolate mousse tower for dessert. Needless to say, I brought home half of the chicken just so I could manage to fit in the dessert since I didn't think a tower of mousse would travel or keep well.

Everything was delicious! My whole family raved about the meals. Not one flavor was disappointing. My only regret is that they have an interesting list of martinis (all $9-10) that I was hoping to try, but I am so tired lately that if I had one I would have landed in those yummy potatoes.

I want the girls to do a night out for dinner where we can sit, eat, indulge, chat, and enjoy. This would be a place that I'd like to go. I rarely recommend places to anyone but this is at the top of the list!