Friday, January 25, 2008

The Sports Fanatic

Codegirl is forever the hopeless romantic and wanting to play matchmaker. Last week, while submersing myself in that film class, I got a text that said "Gave your number to a friend of my husband's. Hope that's okay." Well, there isn't much I can do about it once you've given it, now is there.

The last time she tried to set me up with someone, he turned out to be into grand-theft auto. So while her intentions are very good, her judgement may not be.

The Sports Fanatic, as we are calling him since he has season tickets to the Giants & the Rangers, called Tuesday night and left a message.

Ball. Of. Fire.

Could that last statement be dripping with any more sarcasm?

He's 40 and left the most flat message I have ever heard. He was practically grasping for what to say. I got the "Hi Grotter. This is SF, friend of Codegirl. Ummmmmm. Yeah, she gave me your number and she said that it'd be okay if I called you. Ummmmm.......the way she described you made you sound like a nice person. So, ummmm, call me back. My cell number is 267...........Okay. Bye."

Ummmmmmmmmmm..................................

Yeah. This is a guy with whom I'd like to have a conversation. No sound of enthusiasm. No tone of interest in calling and talking. No twinge of possibility. F L A T. And the 'uuummmmmmmmmmmsssss' . Maybe it's because I hope that if I call a person I don't grasp for words. I hope that I sound as if I want to talk with them. And where is a 267 area code? I've never heard of that one before. I've gotten 917 and 646, but this is a first.

I called back last night and left a message for him. Bubbly. Asking a question or two. Hoping to spark a conversation, even in the phone tag mode. Something. But at 40yrs old, I hope he has more behind that.....ummmmmmm........that level of speaking than ....ummmmmmm......than I got on the phone.

I'll entertain the notion of going out for a drink or dinner, as I like to give everyone a chance, but there are no eggs in this basket.