Saturday, March 18, 2006

Why The Food Network & Travel Channel Are Evil

I got sucked in to Rachel Ray's "$40 A Day" last night. I should know better than to watch her, since she visits a city & then travels far out of it for a meal for the show.

Let me explain: she had done a show ages ago visiting Orlando, FL. She stayed away from the touristy stuff and went to some obscure breakfast nook in Winter Park. Then, she visited some historic stuff & ate lunch somewhere (can't remember). She then visited Sea World & met a family who goes to a fondue restaurant for a "snack" after the park. Yup. I pass Sea World numerous times on my trips to the sunshine state. It isn't far from the Disney complex. And this woman followed a family an hour away for a snack. My brother & I went there last May to try and find this place because it looked so amazing on the show. And who doesn't love a good fondue? I thought so. So, I mapped it & began driving. It was in the most obscure area. And if you blinked (literally), you completely missed it & ended up in a slum. Scary. She then finished the show on International Drive, back in Orlando, in the heart of the night-life. Almost a 45 minute drive back from the fondue place. Nobody drives 45min-1 hr away for a "fondue snack". They just don't.

But, somehow, I found myself watching her show (against my better judgement) last night. She visited South Dakota. So gorgeous! I started planning my trip there until her next show came on, "Tasty Treats", and she was in Anchorage, Alaska. I want to go there, too. But, I want to go when they have 20 hours of sunlight. This way I can cram in a whole bunch of stuff in a few days and not have to enveloped in darkness. Both cities looked like such great destinations!

The Travel Channel was thrown into the title just because it is about travel. My lack of money & my job (lacking in other aspects besides money) are getting in the way of all of these fabulous destinations! Very frustrated.

I always made fun of the people who said that when they win the lottery they want to quit their job & travel around the world. Who cares about winning the lottery? I just want to travel.