Friday, March 17, 2006

A Wee Bit O' Everything This St. Patrick's Day

I am sorry to have ignored the blog for a couple of days, but things have been hecthic (as usual) and I can't say very fun or eventful.

We begin with Cowboy leaving this week. I still miss him. And I thought it was his presence that kept me from getting around to doing the things I should have done. Nope. It was the week's excuse to not do the things I thought I would have accomplished had he not been around. It is pretty quiet without him in the same town. Blah.

Work is what it always is.....nuts. It's amazing that I haven't found a shrink to unburden all of the nonsense onto & still stay as sane as I do (this is not an invitation for all of you to post comments here.....so save your time & breathe).

Registration for the summer & fall schedule was this week. That is always a blood pressure boiler. The students came unprepared as they always do. It bewilders me for individuals to have reached the end of their educaitonal career, only need four or five classes in the final semester before they may graduate, and they do not know what classes they still must take, how to read their degree map, how to select a class that fits into their schedule, and just sit there as I plan their life away. All the while they receive the "don't you think you should have taken an interest in your own future, career, college goal? Shouldn't you be able to do this if you are supposedly earning a college degree? What happens if you decide to continue on for another degree at another institution? They will not do this for you." To which they sit there, stare blankly at me, and then say "So, I am done? Cool." Yeah, buddy, that's it. Cool.

I will tell you all that it was a new employee that put me over the edge this time around. I had to hear four times "I've been doing this since 12:00 and it's now 6:30". Ummm....he had breaks. He had lulls in the day to relax. He had a whole department helping him and it's not even our degree program. This is his first time experiencing such mayhem & he has only worked for the school for two weeks. Yes. Two weeks & he is complaining as if he has been there for two years. i can understand that, to a degree, in that two weeks in the looney bin does feel like two years. But, sorry, he is WAY TOO NEW to start this garbage. I pointed out that we used to do a three-day block registration where we sat there from 9-9 the first two days & 9-4 on day three. He wasn't impressed and just replied "I've been doing this since 12:00 and it's now 6:45". Shut up. Stop being such a baby. It's part of the job. I actually did say that last part to him. "Well, you wanted the job and this is part of it." He was quick to say "IT's not the job, it's that I've been here since....." Thank you, Big Ben. I know. I know. You are the only one who was sooooooooooo dedicated to the task at hand all day. He is also very good at trying to delegate his tasks onto others. He had a "problem student" (I know, a bit redundant since they are all problems, but this one really was a space case) and he had apparently dealt with her on the phone and she ticked him off. He tried to explain things to her and she just didn't get it. He finally raised his voice and said "WHAT CLASSES ARE YOU DROPPING!?!?" That is when I stepped in and took over. I used the voice I would on kindergarteners and helped get her through while he tried to make copies of the paperwork by pounding the "print" button three times. He's a patient man. He then pointed out, to me, that he wouldn't be in the building on Thursday and I could give the info to the dean. I told him I wouldn't be around either. He decides to point out, again to me who doesn't care at this point, that he'd be out on the eastern Campus. So, genius, you are still being paid by the College and working for them on Thursday, do your own job. I just said "I'm not working for the school at all tomorrow. I have another school for work tomorrow". I have to point uot--once again--I do not work for his department. Do it yourself.

He is not the only new person who likes to delegate to others. There is a person incharge of distance ed. She had Peof Crau & me pick out two classes each for our scheudle for the fall. It was a "pick the class you want & we will make it distance". Nice! So we wrote down two classes each. Said person was to call the registrar & alert them to the change. No. Crau calls me between our registration blocks to tell me that the sheet is all wrong. How can one person who has a PhD in distance learning & ed. not know how to send a simple email? How can one with a terminal degree not know how to transfer information from a handwritten note on a sheet of paper to a typed electronic letter? So, I call said terminal degree person to point out this error. She was shocked & said "Oh no. Well, what can we do?" What does that mean, what can we do? This part of the "we" did her job the day before. She asked if I had a computer handy. I said no. She asked if I could send the email to her & she'd forward it on. I said no. She asked if I'd tell her over the phone what the classes were to have been. I said yes & told her. Uh-huh. Still got it wrong. How? I have no idea. It's two letters & five numbers. That is all. If one cannot get a two-letter five-digit code correct, how did said person earn a PhD? And can I attend that shcool to earn mine?

It was my brother's birthday yesterday. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCHMOOEY! I can't believe he and I are at this stage in life. Yuck. He made out well with gifts. And he will be having a whole Birthday Weekend because of the family schedules. He worked & had school last night & I had work too, so I raced home between classes for 40 minutes to see him, give him his presents, and inhale a bit of dinner. When I had finished class for the night, he was just starting. So, presents yesterday. I know we are having lunch out & cake today. And, then we are having dinner out with family/friends Sunday for him. I still have yet to pick my day of celebration. It will be soon.

Happy St. Patrick's Day and all that blarney to all of you! May your bread be irish and your beer be green.