Sunday, March 12, 2006

Where Were All The Men? (aka: Jen's Party or the First Official Meeting of the 575 Club)

When one throws a party & entices the single women to come because "there will be single lawyers there", one goes with the anticipation of meeting said single lawyer. Not the case last night.

Scojen threw a birthday party last night at the infamous Preserve House. GREAT HOUSE! I was on my way to pick up KDP when I realized I have never been to the preserve house & I left my directions at work (remember the semi-spacious office for three to the cozy cube for 3?). So I call the house & ask for directions. I am told that the Haiku Master has planted signs for us to follow. Yeah--that didn't work. The first sign past the guard booth was a bit in the shadows (from my viewpoint) and we missed it. So we drove around the preserve in the dark. For a bit. And I don't know how to work my highbeams beacuse I have never had the need to with this car & while trying to stay on the tiny road & not land in the dirt because I do not think that my car is the off-roading type of vehicle & I can't see if there are holes or ditches that we may not be able to get out of because my cell has no service in this osbcure area and the little woodland critters that go scampering by with my lowbeams (& some other random lights that apparently turn on if I pull the knob out), I manage to break a nail. I don't get all nutty over breaking a nail, but it figures. It goes with my whole not-being-domestic thing.

KDP and I kind of saw the Hempstead House (in the dark), a huge driving circle (in the dark as we drove on it), a few houses/lights in the distance (couldn't tell you where exactly because it was dark without highbeams), and then a gas pump with two sort of houses. We had to do a circle at the gas pump. Finally found a sign leading to the party. Stumbled in my sneakers into the house & then had to roll down my extremely cuffed 7jeans and put on my gorgeous Delman shoes. Oh I love these shoes. So did a lot of other people, as I received compliments a-plenty on them.

We got a rapid tour of the house on the way to filing my nail. Scojen's house is amazing. I can't stress that enough. It's the old laundry house on the estate. She has five semi-bedrooms that each have a different aspect of her in them. The only one I did not like was the room with the Tree People. I just kept thinking "Night of the Living Dead". I could NEVER sleep in that house with those things up there--but it is part of her creativity & that's cool.

The party was fun & she made some yummy vegeterian thing (which I need the name & recipe for) and had an assortment of dessert goodies to satisfy munchies.

There was an eclectic group of people......some yoga, some work, some friends of friends (got to see candyman/fred after so long)....and all mingled quite nicely. However, I did notice that there were no single men as originally advertised. Somewhere along the way the evening turned into the Haiku/Poetry presentation of none other than the Haiku Master & President of the 575 Club & Peof Crau. The Haiku Master read his collection that he has written in bars on cocktail napkins. Interesting. And we should all be members for having sat through it & counting syllables with him. Peof Crau read some of her poems. Good & amusing--as usual. I don't expect any less, though (no pressure Crau). There were lessons on how to use the T9 function on your cellphone--an eye opener for many of us. And we also had a session of trying to figure out the limeric of "There once was a man from Nantucket...". So, if anyone out there knows it, please fill me in. Thanks!

KDP & I decided it was time to bail around 11:30. I had been up early that morning, had done a lot of running around, and have been battling sinus headaches & migraines for the last two weeks that keep draining me. I had to change back into the sneakers...thank goodness I had them...to walk back to the car. We got in the car and began to drive. You can't see the signs that lead you in to the party so how in the world do you get out of here? We made one wrong turn and ended up on a dead-end. I was afraid to turn around, so we drove backwards until we found an area that looked like the car wouldn't sink down & get stuck in anything where we'd have to call for help but woudln't be able to because of the lack of service in the obscure area (and I always wonder on soap operas how is it possible for these characters to always get into a dilemma where they can just pick up their phone & try to call for help but they never have service...now I get it)and turned around. We did this just at the right time because another party car came by & knew the way out. Yippee! We wouldn't be stuck on the preserve. Or so we thought. As the cars approached the guard booth, the gates had been drawn & we saw the chains across the fence. Oh No! Luckily, the woman in the other car decided to call the Haiku Master who came whizzing down and swiped a card (or turned a key) and the gate opened! Phew! We made it.

I will sum it up by saying, even though there were NO SINGLE MEN, a good time was had by all.