Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Ape-Man Cometh

KDP & I just returned from the opening night of previews for the new Broadway show, Tarzan. We were literally the first audience to see the show in production. I keep telling you all that I am ahead of the trend...now do you believe me? I am a Disney fan, so I know you expect this to be tainted & biased, but the show was really good. The effects for landscape were so innovative! For example: they wanted to have a scene where the head gorilla, Kerchek, takes Tarzan away from the "family" and leaves him in the jungle all alone. He believes Tarzan to be dangerous to the group. So he leads him to a waterfall & river so that he may always have fresh water in his new surroundings. They have the two charactes walking around the stage & as they come forward, a "fairy" in all white with long white ribbon/streamers comes out of a hole in the back wall of the stage and "flows" forward, swirling the banners with her. The stage opens up and she goes down through it, leading this white cloth down with her. Then other cloths followed so that it appeared to be water flowing. Beautiful. The singing was hypnotic. There were two songs, in particular, that really brought tears to my eyes. And, as the men behind me would attest, Tarzan was so easy to look at. He's a hottie with tons of muscles in a loin cloth. Does it get better? This was the preview, though, and they are still working out the kinks of the show. The sound effects were not always insync, the cloths that create the jungle foliage were tangled for one scene, and a character called someone else on stage by his own character name. First night jitters. Still, it was so good & a fun night. Tarzan rocked my world.