Sunday, January 21, 2007

Why Manhattan Lighting Does A Grotter Good

Last week, when I went to Porky's, a few people thought I was 22. Stupid me, I told the truth & did not get to take Hottie Danny home with me as a door prize.

Last night, in the bitter cold, Elaine & I went back in to the city together. She was "working" and I got to go with her! We hopped a train in Valley Stream and I had to try soooo hard to keep a straight face when a man with bedazzled jeans got on and sat down. A bit too metrosexual for me. We then took 3 subways to get to 89th & 2nd. At subway #2 E. points out a guy who I referred to as "Nick Lachey" because he had the whole black blazer, white tshirt, jeans and dress shoes going on & trust me, I wanted to go with it. Okay--back to the evening at hand. The assignment? Check out BB&R. Blonde, Brunette, and a Redhead is a small bar on the Upper East Side & was the evening's destination.

We got there.......not completely frozen, and were greeted by Sage, the friendly bouncer. He scans my id and says "You're 31?" I said "Yes, I am." He says "I thought you were 22/23. Girl whatever you are doing it's working!" Oh so happy because maybe I am 22 and the years just seem longer than they should. He then scans E.'s id and says something along the lines of "Last name. What is that?" She replies "German". He said "Oh. But what does it mean?" She says "It means that I am German." And off we went. Last week, at Porky's (the funnest bar ever), the bouncer said she was "cute" and then followed it up to Fred that she had nice hair. Yeah--it's that kind of thing.

So we tried to walk around a bit and get a feel for the place. Not much to feel. Let's start with I wanted to use the ladies' room just so I could brush my hair into something more presentable than the huge knot it was created by the chilling wind. I open the door to the unisex room & am greeted by a urinal. UGH! So not happy. I rushed to fix the knot & went back out to find E. We peeked in the back area where a "party" was going to take place & saw a couple of booths & a pool table. This is not what I was expecting at all. E. sent me a link to their site & it appeared to be more of a Jillian's thing for adults, but this was not the case. So, we sat down at the bar & ordered drinks. I finished mine fairly quickly & the bartender came over and was trying to rush E through her's so that we could "keep up". He was quick to serve us a second and then we never saw him again. So we sat & drank & laughed & sang with the music & tried to figure out who were the owners and made fun of a guy who looked like he was there "on assignment" too, but adamently denied it to E. when she politely asked.

We stayed until 11:15ish (I think) and the bouncer asked where we were headed next. Not wanting to sound older than 22....or completely lame....I said "Katwalk" and he chatted a bit more with us while we fixed our coats & gloves and off we went. Back to the 3 subways & hopefully onto the 1:07 train so that we could go home.

It was a fun time with E. The bar was okay --- not worth the commute AT ALL -- and no men to be found. But I can say that my cheeks hurt so much from laughing at........I don't remember what we laughed at but there was a lot of it.