Thursday, January 18, 2007

Here's the Story of a Man Named................

So Chi-town guy & I had emailed on the site a couple of times & he sent me his number. I called it Tuesday night. He didn't answer so I left a message. He called me back last night and we chatted for an hour and a half. He seems really nice. We talked about his having lived in CT for 3 years & Chicago for 7 & now he's back because he has 2 nieces & 2 nephews that he wants to be near. SO CUTE! We talked about the site. He's been on 6 weeks.....which is also how long he has been at his job. He's an advertisement salesman for some firm & does well. Problem? He doesn't know anyone here & anyone he does is married & doesn't know anyone.

He asked me about my job & I told him what I do. Silence. He said he was very impressed, but I got the feeling that it was not impression at all.

We talked literature......he likes Alfred E. Newman.....I said "who?".....he said "Mad Magazine?" I giggled and said I have never read it.

We talked film....he loves Borat & Napoleon Dynamite. I told him I didn't see Borat & don't care if I do and that I began crying out of sheer pain 20 minues into Napoleon.

We talked pets. We talked experiences on the site. He had a couple of dates.....3 with the same girl until he said something that didn't seem inappropriate if he gave me the conversation history correctly & she doesn't want to go out anymore.

We left off with meeting at Friday's tonight around 8 for drinks.

I get up this monring & check my email & there's one from Chi-town. "Hey. I am going to cancel tonight. I don't think we have anything in common. Let me know you got this."

So I send it back saying "Okay, that's fine. I don't understand why you say that when we talked for an hour & a half last night, but if that's how you feel. Best of luck to you with your job & this site......" and my name.

He sends it back "I think I am too sophomoric for you. You seem serious."

So I reply "Again, I don't know you & if that's your impression of youself, that's fine. However, I am a HUGE kid." and told him some of my silliness. Again, I wished him luck in his pursuit & that's it.

So now my date tonight is cancelled because I am "too serious". This is why I don't tell people what I do for a living. This is why I have sat through really bad movies so people won't say that. I am tired of people in general. And I don't want to lie to someone because if it works out & I have to finally admit my age, my taste in film, my job.....they won't like it that I had lied.

I didn't want to be single. I didn't want Cowboy to go. I didn't think this is how things would be. Does it get better?