Friday, January 05, 2007

Strutting it at the Katwalk & a Little Bit of Drunk Dialing

Elaine (former peof crak to keep you updated) and I went in to the city to see the Museum of the City of New York. We met at 1:30 in Penn & took the 6 up to 110th Street. Dumped in the midst of Harlem and unable to pull out a map so that we wouldn't look too obvious, we just started walking. In the wrong direction. We stopped on a corner that seemed safe enough and E. pulled out the miniature map to help us get our bearings straight. So when we realized we went the wrong way, we crossed over so that the far north regions of Central Park were on our right & we moved briskly back to where we should be. Finding the museum wasn't so hard once we started down the number streets.

The museum was small & had a lot of interesting things to see. We saw the Black Fashion exhibit, a Purse exhibit (so many pretty ones I would lovelovelove to carry, a firemen display, pen/pencil/ink sketches of the city, a furniture exhibit dating back to 1609, and a film narrated by Stanley Tucci that gave the history of the development of the island of Manhattan. E. was quick to point out that this is the first museum we did in it's entirety. YIPPEE!!!

We left there around 4:20 and started to walk from 5th to Lexington along 103rd Street. ................................ 103rd just sort of ends and we were walking through an apartment complex, then through a pedestrian tunnel, and past a lot of bodega thingys. All questionable since we stood out like sore thumbs. Finally finding the subway entrance, we had our cards ready (thank goodness) and hurried down the steps to catch that next train and get ourselves back to familiar territory.

E. wanted to eat at Wichcraft. It's a gourmet sandwich place that has a few locations and one happens to be on 5th and 46th. So we walked and looked and walked and looked some more. A bit of back-tracking and we found it. Looking closed. It was 4:58 and we were starving and the sign said they were open until 6 but they looked closed. When the two people behind the counter are scraping the grill, I think it's a sign they do not want to cook anymore. And there was only one guy sitting at a table on a laptop & he looked like he worked there as well.

The good thing about E. and me doing things together is that we always have a fall-back plan. We had wanted to go to Katwalk and that was located on 35th and 5th. Their happy hour began at 5 and we wanted in. We were starving at this point & thankfully they offer appetizers. When we got there, there was one person sitting at the bar. That was it. Pretty desolate. But we got a cute table where we could see a lot of the action that would hopefully unfold in the next hour or so.

Our not-too-bright waitress took our drink & food order & we soaked in all the scenery. We got hummus & pitas along with nachos LOADED with sour cream (E. said we should have called Mr. NYU to come), cheese, and salsa. I had a Jolly Rancher martini & E. had a Mochatini. Apparently it was so good, she ordered another. We were 1/2 way done with our first drinks before the food came. Not good for us because we really can't drink, even though we say we can, and I was feeling it a bit before I had my first nacho.

Lots of guys at this place. I have never seen such a ratio of men to women where the women really have a pick of men. I have to say decent to good-looking guys here too. And good music until 7:30. I don't know what happened but the music changed and not for the better. By drink #2, there was an older man looking at us. I don't mean glancing over and I don't mean 40ish. E. said he had to be in his fifties and he was literally turning around and staring at us. EW!

We agreed that two drinks was enough for us, especially since we had to stand up slowly to see if we could even stand. We agreed that this is a place to go often, and even talked about how cool it would be to work there. We then talked about getting (some of us NEEDING) coffee so that the walk to the train station would actually happen and I wouldn't fall asleep on the 50 minute ride back.

We then talked about drunk dialing. And before I knew it, I had Gameboy on the phone. I asked him where he was.........literally 20 blocks away.....and told--well sort of ordered---him to come and make out with me. While I had no problem convincing him, E. was on the phone dialing TLS. Why? I have no freaking clue. She has a couple of guys she could be calling and yet she called him. (total segway but we talked earlier while walking about how we really aren't bright at all. Yeah yeah we have degrees and teach college and all that rubbish, but when it comes to basic sense......not so much) I wanted to call Cowboy but since we no longer speak, let alone have anything to talk about since he derailed my life, I turned to my standby. Well, Gameboy was there in a matter of minutes and we talked. Then he had to get going because he had an inspector coming and E. got up to give us a few moments. She was barely out of sight when we started kissing. It felt so good to kiss someone again. Granted, this was for no longer than two minutes, but oh so worth it. I needed it to help me begin repairing myself with the devastation I have experienced. Don't get me wrong, I would go to Cowboy in a heartbeat if he called but I know that won't happen so I have to move on. And I am not moving backwards as in going back with Gameboy, but he is helping to pass the time. I only shed a handful of tears last night as opposed to the bawling I go through most nights.

City bars with good looking men, good drinks, and a bit of drunk dialing isn't so bad!