Monday, July 10, 2006

St. Augustine

Oh my---I had to get up at 3 am for this one. I got home the night before from CT & had to do laundry & managed to go to bed around midnight. I set the alarm for 3 because we were leaving the house at 5:15 am to catch a 6:50 am flight. We flew down on lovely Southwest & their cattle call herd. The flight went smoothly, I think. I was asleep before we pulled away from the gate. We landed & I was hungry. SO we grabbed a snack & took off on what should have been a two hour drive to our destnhation. Nope. Traffic on I-4 stopped us & added an hour to the journey.

St. Augustine has nothing. It is the oldest & first established city in the country, but they didn't even have one Starbucks. Now, I don't need a Starbucks, but when you come from an area that has one on every other corner, you expect to find an iced caramel macchiato somewhere in your travels. Nope. I couldn't even try for a Dunkin Donuts coffee. There wasn't one for 15 miles. I shopped in the outlets & spent more money than I ever planned, but I got such good stuff. Two sweaters for the fall, a tank top, a handbag, and 2 pairs of socks. What should have been $425 was approx. $100. SO GOOD! So excited. I either hit it big at the outlets or find absolutely nothing.

I saw the famous trolleys in St. Aug, the Lions Bridge, the Spanish Fort, the road leading to the FOuntain of Youth (but it looked creepy so I didn't go), and George St, which is strictly pedestrian & reminds me of Key West. Tacky but fun.

The flight home was the same as the one going. I was out cold before we took off. I have a knack for being able ot fall asleep almost anywhere.

So, to recap that week of lunacy, I went to CT on Satruday for the day, went to NYC for a concert at night on Sunday, went to NYC for a non-Shakespearean day, went to CT/MYSTIC?Mohegan Sun for Tues & Wed., and then Fla for Thursday through Satruday (late). I was so tired that it took me this long to finish my post!