Sunday, July 30, 2006

Crak's Big Bash

Crak threw her "Adult But Not Quite" party last night. It was, as summer bashes are, held in the backyard. She has the perfect set-up for this. The backyard has a nice size table & plenty of chairs to go around. The garage is spacious & holds a few tables of munchies & elixers.

JW was finally back on the list for invites. He had been blackballed, I believe two years ago, from the list because he would always call & cancel last minute. So, I don't know what he has done since to receive redemption, but he's back. He just got a new MDX & was all excited about driving it. So he said he'd pick me up & drive us to the gathering. That's fine by me because then 1) I don't have to drive, 2) I save gas, & 3) I can drink (whoohoo--my whopping one strong drink).

He was supposed to pick me up at 8 & at 8:20 there was still no sign of him. I can't stand it when people don't at least call when they are already 20 minutes late. So, I sent a text that asked "are we going or what?" He finally called & said "What's your address again?" UGH~~men.

So I hop in to the VERY nice MDX & he begins playing with the Navigation system. It's a great tool, but the screen is distraction & the voice that directs the driver is obtrusive & can grate on one's nerves rather fast.

We chatted & laughed & rolled into Crak's around 9:10. There were six people present & we sat down to start talking with the bunch we haven't seen in awhile. I got to speak with the CandyMan. She makes such yummy candies & does all sorts of interesting things. I got to hear about her latest chocolate experiments, her new blackberry (issued from work--must be nice to have a company that is willing to spend money), and her roadtrip to LA. So much!

I had to excuse myself for a few minutes so I could mull over all of the delicious snacks that were there. I ended up with a quesadilla, some carrots & spinach dip(sooo goood), and taboula. Even better! Crak also made me a rum & Coke that was way more rum than Coke (or glass for that matter). But JW was driving so I had no worries.

Another group of party-goers arrived & formed their own circle. Scojen defected to that circle & we were never introduced to the newcomers. It was a bit weird & it appeared to be two separate parties going on at once.

The Candyman & LL (Crak's long-time friend) were talking & we wondered who else was coming. We speculated on the possible arrival of Gary. He's Crak's ex. He's 40, 'own's a business'..........livery driver but never seems to have a car....., and not very social. I really didn't think he'd show up. And with those words out of my mouth, there he was. Gary came lumbering up the side of the house with ...as Crak calls him....Gunther the Wonderdog. Gunther is a rottweiler & fantastic. I am a HUGE dog lover and was in my glory with this pup's arrival.

Gary sat next to me & didn't say anything. So I started talking to him (and the pup) and asked him about business & fun & band & dog. He answered. Then I introduced him to JW. JW tried to chat with him but it didn't go very far. Candyman & LL asked if we (JW &/or me) wanted to go to ralph's for ices. JW went with the two & I was alone with Gary & the dog. We got Crak's brother & another girl talking with us & things were running smoothly.

The Ralph's run group came back & somehow the other group wanted Crak to read her infamous poem about Rosario Dawson. She had to run it past Gary first, seeing as it was about him, his ex (Rosario) and Crak. He said fine. She told a few of us that we didn't have to listen, as we have heard it three or four times now. But Gary wanted everyone to be quiet. I tried asking the other group that had their own party going a question or two & never got a response. I chalk it up to they either didn't hear me or they didn't want to know I (or the rest of the table) existed. It was a bit odd.

Anyway, Gary couldn't hear Crak begin to read & told everyone to stop talking. So did Scojen. Crak shot him a look & told him to stop it. He then told her to stand up. She didn't look pleased with his behavior and just read the poem. It's a good poem....funny & quirky....you have to know Crak & the story behind it all.......and I wanted to look for a reaction from Gary but I didn't out of respect for my friend.

Immediately after, JW & I had to leave. He had to work at 6 am (ew!) and was tired. I was okay with this. We chatted on the way home about the party......the ex being there......the split in groups & the fact that Scojen really seemed 'put out' by me being there...(I have this theory that she doesn't like me...which is fine because it really does not have any impact on my life).....and that it's nice to see people you don't get to see very often on a nice evening just chillin' in the backyard.

I had a message from Cowboy to call so I did. It was 12:30 here and we talked until 2 am. I accidentally asked him my "What's wrong with me? Why can't I find anybody?" question because when I am so tired (& have had more rum than Coke) I just say whatever comes to mind. I had to quickly cover that up .....I don't remember how I did it......and we talked about how he misses me & why he won't go out with anyone there & whether or not we will see eachother soon. It was an odd conversation & one that we probably shoulnd't have had in the conditions we had it.

I am left with more questions than answers & beyond confused.