Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mackin' In The Stacks

Cameron & I went out last night for drinks. He suggested that we meet at the Library Cafe. I have been dying to go there for ages now & was so happy to get the chance to go. It's a tiny place and a bit unpolished, but a cute theme. They have a martini menu in which each drink is named for a writer and a novel.....DeMille's Gold Coast, which has a golden glow to it & golden/yellow-ey alcohols, Dickinson's something, another by Poe.....all yummy-sounding & I was so hooked.

I arrived just before 8 and walked inside. He was sitting at the far end of the bar with a beer in hand. Now, Cameron had said to Crak & me on Friday night that, since he tends bar, he sees a lot of dates where the bickering over who is going to pay is so frustrating. He said what a guy should do to avoid that whole deal is go and either give the barender a couple of bills or a credit card BEFORE the woman arrives & he can just debit it as they go so that there is no bill at the end. Smart! Isn't that what he did? I thought it was nice but I offered a couple of times anyway.

We talked for 3 1/2 hours. He was so nice & sweet & funny..........wait........didn't I write this about the Detective a couple of nights ago? Drat. And, yes, he was all of these things last night, but I felt a 'friendship' thing going on and was not attracted to him at all. I feel so bad about this since he is a nice guy & truly a gentleman.

Well, when the laughing & banter & convo. had run its course, we decided to get going. It was 11:30 on a Tuesday night & probably a good time to get home, since he had to be at work at 8 this morning & ready to teach 4th graders....all handfuls from his description. He walked me to my car & was all set to walk like 6 blocks to his. I told him to get in because he took me so far on the opposite direction of where he had to be. He didn't want to get in but did since I said it was the least I could do. He even asked if it was okay to open my car door for me, seeing as I protested him walking me back in the first place. I'm telling you, a gentleman all the way.

Well, it was once again time for that awkward "do I have to kiss him or can I shake his hand" deal & he leaned in. It was nice. But, again, no sparks. I tried. I really really tried. Nothing. What is going on here? Why am I not even remotely interested in these guys? They are....ugh here I go again..........nice, sweet, funny, have good jobs, have good manners. But I am just not into them. In. The. Least.

I need help.