Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Craving A Celebrity Status...............or...........All Of The Little Things To Make One Feel Special

KDP & I met up for a bit of bill paying and dinner tonight. We needed to recap the escapades of a weekend filled with laughter, elixers, and men. Well.....I had the first two while she enjoyed all three on that list.

Anyway, we were at the mall and I saw that I had been 'spotted' by a former student who was looking at me with that 'Hm. Don't I know her?' look on his face. Why didn't he recognize me immediately? Probably the spaghetti strap tank, jeans & sneakers I was sporting for my casual night out. I saw the confused look and waved. He smiled, waved back, pointed me out to someone and we moved on. KDP asked me who I was waving to & I replied 'a student' and she sighed, heavily, and said "Ofcourse". This happened three times at the mall. Yup. Three. It makes it hard to go out -- sometimes -- and I feel awkward going into stores like VS for the fact that people now know I bought something. I just always hope that when they see me next they don't wonder if what I bought is 'under there somewhere'. Its just weird.

We then went to Houlihans for dinner & were seated WAY in the back of the restaurant. Our waitress comes over & takes our beverage order. A few minutes later a waiter comes over & says "Are you Grotter?" I smiled & said "Yes. That's me". He smiles & hands me a rose made from a napkin....and it really looked like an origami rose and said "This is from an admirer". I said "No. Really. Whose it from?" And he said "A former student". But the way he said it was questioning the notion....like...there's no way this guy was your student type of a sound. I said "You'll have to help me out here. I've had nearly 1000 students in the past two years." He said "Dave would kill me if i told you it was him." And he winks. I said "Dave who?" He told me & we chatted for a bit. The waitress comes back over & says "Why are you taking my table? Where'd the rose come from?" So we tell her & she commented that she couldn't figure out why a table of guys kept pointing & staring in our direction. That solved it for her.

I was so smitten with the gesture. It was sweet! It made me feel special. And it made other people in the restaurant curious to know what was going on. I kind of liked it. I want more. Crak & I have partied like rockstars but now I want celebrity status!