Friday, December 01, 2006

Doin' Xmas NYC Style

Wednesday I ran home from work so I could hop on a train to the city. I had plans to do some sightseeing & shopping. What a fantastic day it was. The weather was beautiful..........high 60s? In late November? This is ridiculous but fine by me when trapsing around Manhattan.

I went up to Bryant Park, where they have set up a village for holday shopping. What surprised us was that there was a skating rink & a bar/lounge. It was a bit early to eat so I looked at all of the pretty items in the holiday village and worked my way up to Build-a-Bear. I had something I needed to get & it can only be purchased at this store.

By 4:30 I headed back to Bryant Park & grabbed a table for two outside & was ready to order. I had a country salad that had pears, candied walnuts, and bleu cheese all tossed in a balsalmic vinagrette. It was so good. I also had a hot chocolate. How could I not? I was in the park, overlooking the rink, wathcing all of the people go by & have fun. I must say, I want to go back in the evening to order a martini & share either the cheese platter or the fondue.

Wrapping things up, I headed over to Rockefeller Center to see the tree lighting. I stood out there for a bit but it was INSANE! Houling it in to Sax Fifth Avenue, I spent some time wandering there. I fould a pair of Gucci to-die-for shoes but they are $565, so I don't think my feet will have the pleasure any time soon. About ten minutes before the lighting, I headed up to the 5th floor & chatted with a salesman. He let me look out the window to watch the switch flip, but couldn't let anyone know i was there. So I hid behind the curtain and watched.

I've never seen the tree not lit before, so this was impressive. I had such a good time.