Thursday, February 28, 2008

Whooooo Hoooooo! Beertopia!

KDP is such a trooper. Not only did she leave at 6:50 am in the morning to go from LB to da' Bronx, but she hopped the #2 subway to meet me at Penn at 4:30. The woman has some energy level, let me tell you!

We were on our way to the Pourhouse to join in for the 2nd Annual Beertopia. Fifty beers on hand. We bought tickets to try 12 and then purchased pints as well. The bar is surprisingly big. Well, its small in the front and then leasd down a hallway to a back area that has another section at the back of that. Don't ask. Just go see for yourself.

We got there at 6pm. When it was supposed to start. The place was pretty empty. There was no signage up. Hmmmm.....did I get the date wrong? Well, we had hauled it all the way there so we may as well have a pint. I ordered the Sam Adams Winter White ltd. It was pretty good~~as far as beers go. KDP had a Goose IPA. Absolutely terrible! Needless to say, she drank less than half of it.

At about 6:30, there is an announcement: "Join us for Beertopia at the back bar!". Huh? Why weren't there signs? Where was the crowd? Oh stop asking questions & just go to the back bar!

So we walk to the back & see that there are a number of seats. We grab two and the flier that has the listing of 50 beers, both bottled and draught, and ask how it works. The bartender points me to Stanley, the guy at the other door. He has the tickets. I got tickets for us and went back to begin the tasting.

Here's what I sampled:

Purple Haze......raspberry beer....good but nothing like frambois
Amarit...............a beer from Thailand that smelled a whole lot worse than
it tasted. I could actually order it and drink it.
Asahi.................japanese beer that tasted like (what I imagine) urine.

Blue Point Blueberry......so good!
Blue Point Toasted Lager..........okay but a bit too bitter for me
Brooklyn Pennant...........yuck
Carib Lager.......................a caribbean beer that reminded me of Corona without the after-taste
Hoegaarden.......................like bad ginger ale
Hitacho Ginger.................if you enjoy ginger, this is one for you
Kona Fire Ale...................ah...Kona.....good but a bit 'hoppy' for me
Magners............................more of a hard cider & went down very easily
Pacifico.............................very lime-y


We left at 8:15 in hopes of having KDP on her 8:56 train home. We ran to the subway station and flew down the stairs (all in my cute red suede boots, mind you) and made it on to the R. We stood there for two minutes & then heard "This train will not be moving any time soon. There is debris on the tracks past Lex. Station. Please cross the track & wait for the next train." Uh-oh. I said that 'debris' is code word for 'body'. Just a guess.

We cross the track & wait. For a it. And at 8:40 the Q arrives & we're saved. Or so we thought. We hop on and it sits there. For a bit. And then it finally moves. I said to KDP "Go on without me. Catch your train. I'll talk to you later." I have trains that run all of the time. If she didn't make her 8:56, the next was at 9:56. Just as the words leave my mouth, we stop. In the tunnel. We haven't even hit 23rd street. Why are we stopping? Oh wait......we moved. A little. And now we crawl. All the way to the 34th & Herald Square station. The train pulls in at 8:58. She missed her's.

We strolled back to Penn & grabbed coffee at Starbucks. While sitting there, this so-not-goodlooking guy sits down & is on his phone. He sees us looking at the newspaper & asks "What are you reading?" So we respond. He then goes on to ignore his cellphone....with the call still in action....and have a conversation with us. There as a cute picture of a pink & white beanie baby on the page & he asked what it was. I told him it was a bb and he said "Ugh. Waste of money." I said "I want it. I love pink things". He asked "Where would you put it?" I said "In my car". His reply? "I won't allow you to buy that. It's stupid." I said back "Well, thank goodness you do not control my money." He didn't seem too thrilled by this, but whatever. He wasn't remotely attractive anyway. He finally left & I ran across to my train....leaving KDP to wait 7 minutes by herself.

My ride home was uneventful. But, I was in the 5-seat spot with a mother & daughter.....the daughter was close to my age.....and the mother fell asleep with her head on the window. When we pulled in to the Westbury station, a guy, about 30-ish, walks past our window & punches the glass where this woman's head is! The daughter looks at me and says "Did you see that?!?" I said that I had & we commisserated about 30-yr old losers for the next couple of minutes until my stop came up. I can't believe the nerve of some people.