Thursday, February 21, 2008

I'd Like To Thank The Academy.......

I wrapped up at work as fast as I could today so that I could go in to see the Oscars exhibit at the GMA Studio in Times Square. The Oscar statues arrived last Friday and will be on display until tomorrow. I wanted to know just what an 8 lb. award of gold feels like in my hands since I am not in a field that hands those out to the best & brightest.

I hopped the train in and hauled it up the 10 blocks in the cold, anticipating a line a city block long. I got there & found nobody. How is that possible? It's the week that all of the children are off from school. It's the week that many parents take the vacation & head into Manhattan to entertain themselves and their kids. When everything else is packed, why isn't this? I was soooooooooooo happy!

I walked right in & up to the statue and asked the person behind me to take my picture. There were two HUGE guards on either side of the tethered little man and a woman who wouldn't assist with photos.

This was tighter security than the airports. No kidding.

But what a great exhibit. Not only did they have this one to stand with & simulate what the Academy winners get to experience, but they had two cases with statues. One case was the process of how it is covered.....the different layers that make this man so valuable ($$-wise) and so weighty. The second case had fifty on display and those will be given out at the '09 awards.

And yet another bit of history has been explored. I'd like to thank GMA for opening their doors, the Academy for allowing "regular people like me" to hold such a prestigious award in my untalented hands, and to Oscar.....the man of the hour. Without all of you, I would have had a mundane afternoon.