Wednesday, February 13, 2008

On The "I Hate Them" Kick

This semester, it has been student after student challenging me on what I do and why they don't think I am fair. One was ill and could not submit work to the online class. They had a week and did not do it. Five questions and three posts to a discussion board. But they had time for lengthy emails.

The next one couldn't do the work because their child was sick all week.

A third said it wasn't their fault that they couldn't buy the book the first week and that it wasn't their fault that they waited until the last minute to try and complete/submit the work when they had six days and then found it a bit difficult and missed the cut-off. That was my fault, I was told.

It wasn't her fault that she has family problems and can attend her traditional classes but can't do the minimal work for my online class. And when I did not give the extension she thought she should have, she went over my head to the provost. Who never asked her if she met with me face-to-face.

I had one who was mad that he failed a test so when I went to collect it, he shoved it to the floor. I stepped over it and he asked me, infront of the class, "Aren't you going to pick that up?" I said "No" and kept on going. He won't return until I explain to him why I didn't pick up his (shoved to the floor) paper.

The last one is one who refused to turn in a test when I said the time was up. He waved me off and told me to go teach my lesson and that he'd submit it when he was ready. I said "Forget it" and then taught my lesson. I took the paper with me and tried to tell him that I had to speak with the provost to find out if I'd be supported in not grading it (sick I know) and when I got that support, I sent the email a stating just that.

The student found out tonight, a week later, because he doesn't read his emails and received his ungraded test back. Doesn't he send me an email telling me that I am not resolving his issue so he's going over my head to the dean?

Why is my job being threatened? I always say that if I wasn't a woman, I wouldn't have half of these problems. And I am not one of those gloria steinem/NOW totin' people. But when I discuss these students with their male professors, they do not have any issues with them. When I discuss it with female professors, they are hitting that same wall I am.

Well, dean or no dean, provost or not, I am not budging. Call me Gibraltar.