Saturday, April 14, 2007

Since When Did An Initial Meeting For Coffee & One Date Turn Into The Question Of "So Did You Tell Your Friends Your Dating Me?"

Don't jump the gun, buddy.

I went out with the Math Prof. last night. We've talked on the phone maybe 5 times in three weeks & went out for coffee almost two weeks ago. Last night we met up for mexican food.

We said we'd meet at 8pm. I was in the restaurant at 7:55. My phone rings at 8 and it's MP saying "Hi Hun. I am running late and will be there in 10 minutes". He called from him house phone. Didn't he realize 20 minutes earlier that he was not going to be out the door by 8? Shouldn't you have called me before the time we were to meet? Whatever. Don't call me 'hun'. We don't know eachother. Don't rush this whatever it is we are trying. I am not your 'hun'.

He arrived at 8:20. Another ten minutes after he said he'd be there & I had now been there for 25 minutes. I had put our name in and had the pager thingy. He came in, immediately kissed my cheek and said "Hi Hun" and took the pager from my hands as if he is now playing some 'manly' role. Um, its not heavy. I was a big enough girl to go up & get it & even hold it for the last 10 minutes. Did it get too heavy all of a sudden? Stupid.

We were seated & began chatting and looking at the menus. He asked if we should order an appetizer. I said he could if he wanted to, but I was happy with the meal I was going to order. I wanted two chicken enchiladas. He ordered two beef & one chicken enchilada. Our food came & he said "Have you tried the beef one?" I said "No. I don't like beef". He said "Oh. But you have to try this one. Its so good." I said (again) "thanks but I don't like beef. So its taste will be wasted on me." He pushed it a third time & I pointed out that since you could combine items on the menu, if I wanted a beef one I would have ordered it.

We talked. Mainly about his pending trip to Vegas. That's why he was late. He was on the phone with the airlines & the hotel to see what he could do, the prices he could get & if they were for the same times. Ummm......that's why you were late? Let's add insult to injury: he didn't book anything. He was just calling for prices. So he was 20 minutes late because he was getting pricing ideas. He was doing that when I talked to him at 4pm. So four hours later you are still at it & late for me? On our first 'real' date? No.

We finished our meals & he asked if I wanted to stay there & order dessert or go someplace else for a drink. I said we could stay there for dessert, if he wanted to order something. So we looked at the menu. This restaurant has regular desserts & then they have a menu of 'pequenos'. Little desserts for $2 a piece. So good. I said I wanted the black forest one. It's all chocolate goodness. The menu says you can order a 'flight' of them--one of each flavor--for a cheaper price than if you ordered all five seperate. He wanted the flight. I said that would be fine, but I only wanted the chocolate one. I don't like the other flavors. He said "Oh, but you'll try them, right?" I siad "No. I just want that one."

They came. He then tried to 'push' each flavor on me, even though I said I was happy with my one. Here's an example: One 'pequeno' is caramel apple pie: graham cracker/applefilling/icecream/whipcream all layered in what looks like a 'shooter' shotglass. He said "Mmmmm....this is pretty good. Try it." I said "I don't like apple pie & I said I wanted the chocolate". Ah--back to the enchilada argument. I finally said "Stop trying to boss me" and grinned. He said he wasn't try to but I should be willing to try things. I said "If I wanted it, I would have said I did. I said I wanted the chocolate one and you knew you'd be eating the other four."

He would also jump to conclusions while I was speaking & assume what I was going to say. He was wrong each time. I pointed this out & said "If you want to guess what I am going to say, fine. But if you want to know the real answers to the questions you ask me, then just listen."

We left at 11:15. Yes. I sat with this guy for 2 1/2 hours. Why? I have no freakin' clue. I'm desperate and pathetic & apparently willing to sit with a guy who is trying to boss me around. As we left the restaurant, he said "So have you told your friends your dating a math professor? Did they ask if I was boring? What did they say?" I said "I told them I was going out on A date with a guy who teaches math at NCC. And, yes, they asked if you were boring. I told them yes." He laughed as if I had been kidding. Moron.

He walked me to my car, even though I was three spaces out from the restaurant. I told him he didn't have to because I was avoiding the kiss. Big time. Didn't work. He asked me if I was free next weekend. I said "Well, its already pretty booked. I will have to let you know. But, I have to go because I am so cold." I tried to open my door and turn to give the whole partial hug/kiss the cheek(air) thing & instead he deliberatly moved his face into mine and briefly kissed me on the lips. It was one of those "See you later" may as well have been on my forehead from a friend kisses. Yuck. You know the kind in the 'Peanuts' strip where Snoopy kisses Lucy and it says 'SWAK"? Yeah--that's the one. Not good.

Now, look back at the kissing post I have. I have this urge to kiss many random men walking by me on a daily basis. I have no desire to kiss this guy. At. All. I don't see this working. He's one of those 'we've talked 5 times & technically been out in public twice so we have some made up 6-month history where I call you 'hun' and act as if we are together for so long'. I don't like that. I like the 'getting to know you' phase. I like anticipating a kiss.

I. Did. Not. Like. This.

At. All.

(and was supposed to meet up with the Mechanic for coffee afterwards. He was too busy with work so it didn't happen again. that could have changed the whole evening. instead I was left with swak.)