Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Why Wearing White Pants While Drinking On A Tuesday Night At An Open Bar In Manhattan Is Not The Brightest Idea

Disclaimer: This was written an hour after partying on a Tuesday night in Manhattan, with Crak, at an open bar. The spelling & clarity may need work. The events are real.

Crak had sent me an email ages ago to go to an "on the rooftop" event in the city. I said "sure" because, as I have said before, I will do anything once. She bought us tickets back in May for tonight at the Delancy, which is right by the Williamsburg Bridge. Very cute.

We met at Penn at 5:15 and the moment I looked at her I knew it would be a night. We were dressed similar enough that I know I have to call her from now on to avoid looking like the "Bobsey Twins". She was accessorized in red while I in black, but we both had white pants on (as stated in the title). We had to go above ground to walk a block & catch the F train down to Delancy. An easy run when you can walk in the shoes you chose to wear for the evening.

We get there at 5:55 & they will not let us check in. So we look around a bit & watch as the place begins to fill up with people who are waiting to go onto the roof. At precisely 6:00, they check us off on a list & give us raffle tickets so that we may redeem them at the end of the night for our "goody bag". How nice! Open Bacardi bar from 6-8, cover charge, & a goody abg all for $20? Where else can you get that in Manhattan?

So we go up the stairs to the tropical oasis & do a "lap around the setting before committing to a location". There were potted palms everywhere, a water bank with fountain in the center, and a view of the Williamsburg Bridge right there infront of us.

Crak began by grabbing a (I think) Japanese beer. I passed on that because I do not like beer at all. I gagged down the raddler in Munich and that was enough to last me a lifetime. I was holding out for the drinks being supplied by the waitstaff.

Well, waitstaff was carrying empty trays by the time we did the lap so it was up to the bar for us. We began with a Bacardi Coconut & Pineapple juice. Very yummy. We also grabbed some dried fruit & nut snacks that were in martini glasses & snagged a bench to sit on & chat.

I wanted to get up & grab another snack & asked Crak to "check me". She noticed a stain but it was on the waistband of the pants. Hmmm.....not from the bar. Okay. I then sit back down & look at my left pants leg & there's another stain. I also managed to drip a lot of water from the condensation of the drinks on my pants. Drat!

We snacked but not as much as we drank. It went from the Coconut to a Bacardi Lemon drink for me, while Crak had a Bacardi Mojito. I finished the Lemon & moved on to a Bacardi Raspberry (are you picking up on the fact that Bacardi sponsored this?). We had some red wine in there somewhere. We then got up & went to the bar to order our last "open bar drink" for the evening. We had the melon drinks. Not too bad. We decided to do a lap again & that's when we met Chris. He approached us by saying "Hey. You think they'd have some kind of music playing out ehre for this, wouldn't you?" Which began the hour that we spent with him & his colleagues. He was very inerested in Crak & couldn't be more clear about that. I was talking to his lesbian friend, Bobby, who was a riot. She is a retired NYC cop & now works as a CPA. She was sharing all of her views & opinoins about education & the youth of today to me. So so nice.

Chris then decided he wanted to impress Crak & decided to buy four of us a round of drinks. Very nice. So I had another melon thingy. I have never drank this much in my life & here I have 5 drinks + wine in me. And no dinner. And yet I can walk. And sort of talk. And realize that Crak is letting this guy hang on her & she is pretty gone, at least from what I can tell. Very giddy & giggly & well....gone. Oh it was time to go. I have more drinks in me than I do in 3 months total + heels + have to get all the way back to Penn with a fuzzy Crak. Yeah~~time to go.

She gives Chris her card (why I am not sure & told her later I'd rather see her go out with the Lead Singer than Chris) & we wobbled our way down the stairs. We tried to pick up our parting gifts, but there was nobody manning the table & there was only one bag left. Hmmm.....how can you hand out more tickets than bags? They are getting a letter.

We managed to get to the subway station &, even better, got on the right subway. Back at Penn, we grabbed Starbucks & hopped on separate trains & made it home. Ah~~drinking with Crak is always a good time. Now, if I could just find a man...........................................