Friday, March 28, 2008

CAT astrophe

I moved recently and am in the process of figuring out what is where and living out of bags, boxes, and piles. I am okay with it, but I am so lonely. And I figured it was time to bring along the cat. Sunny, my 27 lb shadow, was to have become "Commuter Kitty". He loves me dearly, but adores the family, too. So I wanted to do what all of those dog people do....have him go back-n-forth with me from the little house to my parents for dinner, tea, visits, etc.

I can not put him in a carrier, as he is too big and way too heavy for me to lift in one. So I bought him a harness and planned on walking him like one of those little dogs out to the car & then into the house. I bought a cat harness. Too small. So I exchanged it for a small dog collar. Still too small. That chunky needed a medium dog harness. Oh no!

I found him sleeping on his favorite blanket and thought it best to slip the harness on him at that moment. I then clipped on the leash and tried to make him get up and walk. Nope. I picked him up and put him on the floor. Where he rolled over like a huge water balloon. He reminded me of the little kids who you are holding and when you try to put them down they pick up their feet and its as if they have no legs. I tried for 5 minutes to get him up and walking. Nothing. He is the 300lb gorilla in the room.

I had to pick him up and carry him to the passenger seat. I put him in the car and ran around to the other side to get in. I started up the car and the wailing began. He cried all the way there & it was piercing......as if someone was beating him to death. He looked out the passenger side window and panicked. He tried to jump onto the dashboard and hit his head, landing back into the seat. He scrambled over onto me and tried to go up and onto the dash that way. I had to stop the car, put him on my lap, and then firmly hold him in place the rest of the way.

We arrived at the house and I, again, had to carry him in. When I put him down and spread the blanket that he loves so much onto the couch, he jumped right up and wouldn't move. I tried to coax him with food. Nothing. I tried a bowl of water. Nope. I wanted to give him kitten cookies. He wouldn't get up for them but yelled into the kitchen from where he was on the couch as if he wanted me to bring them in. So he ate them on the couch.

We settled in for the evening. If I got up....he got up. If I rolled over, he rolled with me. It was pitiful.

I had to leave him for 4 hours the next day to go to work............see how work is getting in the way?..............and I felt so guilty. I told my mom and she said he should come home. So I had to swing by to get her and driv eon over to the house. We went in and could not find him. He was under the bed and would not come out until he saw both of us and recognized the faces & voices. Oh so sad! Back on went the harness and mom had to carry him out..............for, once again, he acted as if he had no legs.

He rode on her lap all the way back and now won't leave her side. This is odd, as he usually does that with me. But, momis now the savior who brough him abck home from that wrethced palce where I had taken him.

So I am down one cat & rambling by myself now. Is there a lesosn in this Cat-astrophe? I am not sure yet. I'll fill you in if I find one.