Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"Debbie" and I Don't Get Along

I have had a bad history with women named Deborah. Or Debra. Or Debbie. We do not get along. And that's the nice way of saying it. I have had students in the past with whom I clash. The single relating factor? Their name. Cowboy's mother? Also a "D". It's just a bad mix from the beginning and I don't see it (nor do I remember) until they lash out and tear me to pieces.

Last night was no different. I gave a final exam to my Ethics class. It was 40 questions. I said to give me a half an hour and then they could come back, pick up the graded exam and their last research paper. One young "D" did just that. And she was not happy. She earned a "B-" on her paper and believes it to warrant a much higher grade. She came in and knelt next to me and asked me why I "gave" her such a grade. I started with the "you earned it" speech. She then said that her friend (in the class) wrote a paper just like her's but earned a higher grade. I pointed out that you can not compare papers. I mentioned that her's was full of mechanical errors, was written in a conversational tone, and did not have a Works Cited page. She said that this is not an English class so I should not be grading them based on grammar and mechanics. I said that this is a college paper, meaning college-level writing is in order. This was when she stood up, backed away to the door, and then unleashed a tirade on me of how I am a bad teacher, nobody liked the class, everybody said they had a hard time learning....blah blah blah. I said "Everybody? And you are the spokesperson taking the fall?" She threatened to go to the Dean about this. I said that she should take the whole class if it was truly that bad.

That's when she came to the desk & snatched her paper away, telling me the Dean would read it and see it is worth more. She has a 3.8 GPA and isn't about to let an easy class like mine ruin her grade. Yeah. She said it was easy, yet she did terribly.

She pointed out that she is not an English major and I should not grade papers as such. She also said that it was a waste of time to learn about philosophers because they have nothing to do with Ethics. And then she was angry because I showed two movies and did not test them on the content. Why? Why didn't I? I tried to explain the meaning of supplemental material but she didn't want it.

She stormed off. I went to Academics with a student who had to take another test for my class. A second student came down and said that there was some girl upset in Admissions and they were agreeing with her that my classes are too hard and all of that crap. She then asked me why the girl had said the things about philosophy and I explained it. She then asked about the "Harry Potter" comment........I had given them an article last week to read in class about Rowling "outing" Dumbeldore and how does this fit int ethics. "D" was mad because we discussed it for 15 minutes and it was not on the test. What was the point of me bringing it in if I wasn't going to test them. ???!!!!!!!!

Insert all sorts of frustrated profanity now.

I went to deal with another student and that's when I got the email. She ranted on about how she was going to apologize but she heard me talking with the other two women and that I am a horrible teaacher and the Dean will take care of all of this.

BAsically, my head will roll, according to her. And since the Dean and I do not mesh well....it probably will roll.

I have 40 weeks of this job left. I just need to hang on to it for a bit longer. Give me strength.