Thursday, September 07, 2006

Stuck In A Jar With The Not-So-Great Gatsby

I have been reading a lot fo chick-lit this summer & decided it was time to do some classic, serious reading. I haven't read Bell Jar or The Great Gatsby in over 12 years & figured it was time to again. Crak was kind enough to lend me her copies & I had my reading for the plae rides. I must say I was bored & depressed with this selection. The Bell Jar was more of a downer then I remembered. And I didn't remember much of Gatsby except the parties & the love for Daisy. Crak & Minsky (another coworker) LOVE this book. Me? Not so much. It was okay. I don't get the big hype over either. Do I acknowledge the grate craftsmanship of the writers? Yes. Do I acknowledge the times in which this was written? YEs. Did I enjoy them? No. I began feeling smothered & unsatisfied just like the characters in the books. I'm going back to chick-lit for a few more weeks. I need to boost my spirits.