Sunday, September 24, 2006

Boyds & Baskets & Bears, Oh My!

KDP & I had plans to drive to Gettysburg after my dumb meeting on Friday. We were on our way to Boyds Bears & their 2nd Annual Longaberger Basket Festival. I was beyond excited.

I was supposed to pick her up around 5:30 to begin the 4 hour drive there. But, if you remember clearly, the weather was not cooperating & it was pouring. What should have taken 30 minutes to drive took an hour. I only got there at 6:00. She ran out to the car, threw her bags in & off we went.

We did not get out of the NY area until close to 8:30. We literally crawled on the Southern & the Belt to the bridge. Staten Island was not any better. We just sat there for the longest time. I had been hoping to cross into Pennsylvania to eat dinner at Cracker Barrel at 7ish but that was not happening. We ended up stopping at the first place we saw----a rest stop in NJ & having to choke down Burger King. EW! It was horroible. And we were tired. And we were not even close to our destination.

We got on the road & drove. And drove. And drove.

We should have arrived at 9:30 had all things gone according to the plan. We got there at 12:15 am. UGH! I couldn't see straight. All I wanted to do was get uot of the car & stretch.

I tried to sleep, but it wasn't easy. I had that car/humming thing going on with my head & body. You know the kind--when you've been in a car WAY TOO LONG and the momentum hasn't stopped even though the vehicle has?

We got up the next morning & headed on over to the Homestead. We got there at 10 am & figured that would be more than enough time before our basket-making session at 1:00. We were so wrong. There was so much more to see & do than anticipated & we had to scarf down lunch at 12:30 to just make it to our weaving stations.

We had made reservations to weave our own baskets. It was so cool! We were side-by-side & Eric was supposed to be helping us. He started me off & then went to KDP. All-of-a-sudden, he disappears. The man helping the stations next to us, Tom, said that Eric gets frightened by "pretty girls" and that's why he was scarce. Nice save. Tom was nice & he & I chatted a lot about my job, his job, and just how much time it takes to actually become a skilled basket weaver.

It all sounds corny, but these baskets are quality & way too expensive. But so pretty that it is easy to get conned into becoming a rep. for the company.

We didn't leave the homestead until 4:00 & still had to drive 4+ hours home. We were so lucky that there wasn't any traffic coming home & it was smooth sailing. I believe I stumbled into the front door--basket & all---around 9:30.

I had a basket that I made (I keep saying I am now one step away from becoming an underwater basket weaver) filled with bears & birds, and kittens, oh my!

So--anyone want to buy a basket?