Saturday, May 06, 2006

Tribeca Film Festival

OH MY GOODNESS! I met Jamie Johnson! Wait! I'll start from the beginning.

Crau & I went in to the Film Fest today. We met at Penn where, as soon as I got off the train & entered the main lobby/ticket center, I hear "So this is what you do on a Saturday". It's a student from Farmingdale. I keep telling you all that I feel like "Where's Waldo" and need my own book. I chat with him for a minute & then grab Crau & off we go.

We wanted to grab lunch before we got on line to try & see if we could buy tickets to the film of choice. She suggested Rosa Mexicano, which was a very cute mexican restaurant across from Fordham & Lincoln Center. As we finished yummy quesadillas, we walk outside & spot David Blain...aka The Bubble Boy. You know, the guy who does those weird stunts like freezing himself for a week or burying himself alive for 5 days? This time he is in a water bubble for 8 days & then will hold his breath for 9 minutes on Monday night. Nuts. We did not walk up to him, mind you. There were lines and security all over the place. But we could see him just fine from the sidewalk. Besides, we had bigger things to do: get in line an hour and forty minutes early to try & get tickets to see "The One Percent". It's a documentary about class in America. And its creator/director is the heir to the Johnson & Johnson Corporation.

So we get on line and we are about 50 people back. Not too bad, I think. We are guaranteed to get in. We met some nice women while waiting. One in particular was from Anapolis, MD, and just took the train up this morning to see THIS film and stay the night & then go back home. So cool. She had her suitcase with her. lol. Anyway, we wait & wait & wait some more. Then a volunteer comes along & says that it's not looking too good & she does not think they will be taking many people in to see the film. So we cross our fingers & wait even longer. They took a group of people in & we weren't in it. Then she comes out & says they can take 20 more. We LITERALLY just made it in. Crau was #19. UGH! I would have had a breakdown right there on the sidewalk if I didn't get in to see the film. But we did!

The film was great & the theater was packed. I sat in the very first seat of the theater, which is a handicap row so I was all alone. Crau was behind me. At the end of the film, Jamie Johnson was there to do a Q&A. He was so nice & looks like a normal guy--not anything like you expect $25 Billion to look in person. But that's why he does these films. He wants to try and lessen the gap between the overly wealthy & the poor. He doesn't seem to appear comfortable in the role he has been handed in life & I am taking this film venture as his way out of the guilt. He's so humble. He looks like the actor, Daniel Futterman. The son from "Birdcage" & the younger brother, Vincent, on "Judging Amy". Yeah~~I love him. I stayed after to shake his hand & congratulate him on his work. I figured "Hey~i can do this. I talk for a living!" Nope. I was in awe. I became just like my friend "C" (aka~~The Professional Shopper) and started sputtering out words that Crau says were coherent & made sense, but it didn't sound it to me.

Ah~~I floated on Cloud 9 as we walked back towards Penn. We stopped for a yummy coffee treat (iced decaf. caramel macchiato for me) and then realized that our trains were in 15 minutes & that we had already missed one.

Oh I love Jami....I mean the Tribeca Film Festival!