Sunday, May 07, 2006

Fragility

I saw a man get hit by a car tonight. I have never seen anything like this before, and I hope to never again. I was on Old Country Road at a major intersection. The cross street had the green light & what I believe was a Civic sped over the intersection. As he passed down the street to my right, I heard a "thud" and saw his car veer across the two lanes of on-coming traffic & hit the curb. At the same time I saw, what I thought was his front bumper, fly across in the opposite direction & land in the road. From where I was sitting, I could not see anything but the car in the opposite lanes. When my light turned green, there was a gray sweatshirt laying across the road. There was a man in that sweatshirt. My stomach immediately flipped upside- down and my arms have felt like weights ever since. I cannot believe it. I pray for that man & his family tonight. I will not be able to close my eyes for awhile without seeing that image.