Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I Met HIm On A Monday And My Heart Stood Still

Okay. So I actually met him on a Saturday and I wouldn't have even noticed him, let alone stopped to talk had he not engaged me in conversation. And its not because he was good looking or ugly.........he was nondescript and I just didn't even see him. But I heard that song on the radio and it was in my head so I figured I'd use it.

Saturday I went to the Nassau Coliseum Beer Fest. KDP & I had gone to Beertopia at Pourhouse and then I attended that wine fest at Javits, so why not go to the local one? My brother went last year and said he had a great time. I had asked about the men/women ratio thing and he said there were very few women. So I had made it a point then to go. I may as well up my odds of meeting someone.

We drove to the Coliseum and found a LONG line to try and get in. When I say long, I mean that we stood on line for 20 minutes. It. Was. Freezing! The wind just kept blowing and I wondered why I had bothered to brush my hair in the first place.

The guy who matched our names on our tickets to our ID looked at me and said "Okay. I don't believe it, but okay". Hey! Thanks Buddy! Feelin' good now & going into a room of men. Not too bad.

The fest was set up on the two long outer walls of the room. Not what I pictured at all. I thought there'd be aisles and rows and stuff. Nope. All tables were on those two walls and the event space between was just empty and HUGE. They need help planning and recruiting next time.

The men and the setting you ask? Picture every hole-in-the-wall LI bar............Jackie Reilly's, Mulcahys, McCanns, Meehans..................and all of the others and put every tacky guy in the same room. Quality. Yeah.

Well, we had worked our way through all but two of the microbreweries and were headed back to try out those last two. As we walked, a guy said "Hey! Where ya' going?" I said "This way". He said "Me too. Have you tried Hoegaarten yet?" I said I had and he began to say how that is his favorite and was so happy that they were at the fest. He then grabbed my wrist and asked if I wanted to try ..............some other beer that escapes my mind. So, off we went. He talked and gabbed for quite awhile. He works in the city as some 'global something-or-other manager' and travels a lot for his job. He lives in ?W. Babylon? and commutes. He had lived in the city for awhile and never said why he moved.

With that, we were surrounded by a group of guys. One leans in and says "So, you picked up a stray"............referring to me. I glared at this young guy and said "What?" and he said "Oh, I mean lady". I looked at him and said "You don't speak anymore" and turned away. Global guy said "Yeah. That's my brother." Brother leaned in and said "Do we even look alike?" and I said "Yes, in the eyes and the shape of your mouth" and he used a vulgar comment to describe his mouth and lips back to me. I nodded and said "Well, that's my cue to go" and walked away. Seconds later, Global guy was right behind me talking again.

He went on about the countries he's traveled to and how he loves Disney and fantasy football. I stood there and nodded.

Finally I said that I had to go meet my friends and he said "Well, I don't have my phone with me because I came light. But I really want to talk to you again so if I give you my business card, will you email me and we can continue?" I said "We'll see" and he put his hand out to shake mine and said "Well, it was really nice talking with you Melinda".

I said ......................'who is Melinda'.................................and he said "You" I said, "My name is Grotter". "Are you sure?" "I think I know my name." "Then why did I think that it was Melinda?" "That was the girl you were talking to before me." "I wasn't talking to a girl before you." "Sure. On the other side. You gave her your card." "What are you, stalking me? Hahaha. I didn't talk to any girl but you. Nice try. But, seriously. I hope you don't hold it against me. I mean, this is a beerfest and I have been drinking. I hope you do email me."

And I shook his hand and walked away.

I did not find him attractive. Don't get me wrong.....it's not that he isn't goodlooking for some. But................He is younger. 4 years to be exact. And I said I swore off younger. Done. Finito.

So I have not emailed yet. KDP, Blonde, Sassy, and Crak told me to email him. This is '08 the year of the date...........and only one of us has had any dates in the three months. I am supposed to go just to live up to the slogan.

I don't know. We'll see.