Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Awkward Encounters of the Hopefully Never Again Kind

I got hit on today. By a student. Blatently and obviously hit on.

Now I have been hit on before by students. I have had numbers flirt with me thinking that this will do something for them..................I guess.

But this was the oddest one yet.

He always hangs around after class to chat. To 'find out' my 'real' thoughts on subjects. To bounce things off of me. It's all harmless and innocent. But it can be annoying.

Anyway, he has the final project coming up soon and it requires that they do something new. Something that they have never done before. And they have to take a picture of themselves doing whatever it is that they choose. So he asked me if he could ask a girl out. I said, "Sure. If you have never done this before." He replied "well, I have, technically, but not like this. So would you like to go on a strictly platonic, non-sexual date with me next week?" To which I burst out laughing. I said "I don't think that counts, but thank you for asking. And, you have to take a picture of the action.......facial reactions..........responses............and I can not be in a picture for a project that I have to grade. It'd be a poor grade then!"

He laughed and said "Well, okay. But at least you know I have good taste." And he walked away.

I left laughing and shaking my head........................but then I felt bad. I hope he didn't think I was laughing AT him. I was laughing out of shock, discomfort, and denial. So now I have felt bad all afternoon.

Drat!