Friday, August 31, 2007

I Can't Go Anywhere Without Being Recognized

I met Crak & the Blonde at McCann's on Friday night. I was running late & knew I had to run across the street in way too big heels to meet them inside. I crossed the street....trying not to break my neck.....and a car pulls over right next to me as I step onto the curb. "I was obligated to pull over when I saw you" is what I heard come from a young man in the driver's seat. I turned and said "excuse me?" And he says, again, "I was obligated to pull over when I saw you". "You were obligated to stop?" "Yes. What's your name? You look lke a woman who would use big words." I said I was too old for them but that the gesture was sweet. The passenger says "We're 25. How old are you?" I said it wasn't polite to ask a lady her age. They asked again & I said I was too old for them....a bit 'cougar' status. "Damn! Wait! So how old are you......and you look that good?"

I ran inside but not without realizing that the people smoking outside & the bouncers heard the exchange. Drat!

I find Crak & Blonde inside and barely make it to them to begin telling them what had just happened, when all of a sudden I have someone say in my ear "Is it wrong for a former student to buy his professor a shot?" I turn around and its the Marine from 3 years ago. I was taken aback because when I say I literally walked in to the place, I mean it. I had been in there all of 90 seconds! So I explain how I have never done a shot before and that it was a nice gesture but no thanks. He wasn't taking no for an answer so I did my first real shot. He got us soco & lime & I threw it back like a pro. I then talked with him a few minutes & said I had to get back to my friends because I had just walked in, but he was more than welcome to come find me later.

That apparently meant ten minutes later when he grabbed my hand & told me to pick out songs at the jukebox thingy. So we talked & I introduced him to Crak & Blonde. The Marine brought over his friend..the Babymaker (as he is 23 and has a 16-month old). We thought he wanted to talk to the Blonde, but it turns out he wanted Crak. Who doesn't?

Anyway, the Marine & I chatted away the evening, while the babymaker talked with Crak & Blonde. The Marine asked if he could take me to dinner sometime & I said it was a sweet idea but I am not so sure. I wanted to see how the rest of the evening went. He was a bit clingy (okay so he was very clingy). Example: he went outside to smoke ((I also said I gave up dating smokers but that didn't dissuade him) and I excused myself from the ladies to to to the ladies room. When I came nack my phone was going crazy with a text that said "where'd you go?" Umm...don't you see my friends still sitting where we had been hanging out for the last hour? Couldn't you have asked them? Or couldn't you just be patient?

So we hung out a bit more then he came over and gave me a kiss on the cheek & said he had to get going. It was nice to see him. But it is getting harder and harder to go out and have a good time & not be spotted. I get spotted more than some celebrities & still don't make one-fifth of their income. Something's wrong here.

I think I am going to try a disguise one of these nights.