Friday, August 31, 2007

A Honu Experience

One day after the McCann's-Marine experience, Crak, Blonde & I headed over to Magees in Huntington. Why? Crak has a crush on (and a running bet with) the bartender there. We met up inside & not five minutes into recapping the previous night's events, some guy walks up to Crak and introduces himself. He says he thought she was pretty & wanted to talk to her but felt bad because he & his friends were leaving. He then asked for her number. Which she handed over.

Blonde then hears a voice that was too recognizable for her. And there's a guy fromher job. Awkward. So she decided to make the firs tmove and call him over. He introduced us to his (drunk) friends and we cahtted for a bit.

Magees was too empty (yet crowded with familiarity for Blonde) so we went to Honu to see what Saturday night action was kicking there. We literally walked in the door and some guy stepped between me & Blonde. He grinned at me and said hello. So I smiled back and said hi & walked around him to get to the girls.....who so graciously left me alone with this weirdo.

He came right over & said he saw me walk by and had to talk to me. So we chatted for a moment...........about who knows what because he was freaking me out..... and then he wondered why I didn't have a drink in my hands. I pointed out that I had just walked in before he pounced on me & he said "Oh yeah. So let me buy you a drink. What do you want?" I told him that my usual is the ever-famous coconut martini & he turns and orders it. I had my back to him when it was set on the bar & Crak said that he sipped it. So I whip around and say "Do you want a taste? Have you ever had one?" He said he'd never tried one and no, he didn't want to try it now. I was supposed to just enjoy it. I said "Well, my friend says you already sipped it. That's okay. Just say you did." He flat out denied even putting his lips to the glass. Whatever buddy. If Crak saw him sip it, then I will go with that.

The crowd there was just odd so we went back to Magees. Still empty. But three stools at the bar opened so we sat. I was introduced to Crak's crush--the Cherryman--and he set us up with a bunch of maraschino (hence the name) cherries. Sweet! He saw we were drinking water, so he says "How about a shot?" He whips up something and puts it infront of the three of us. We asked what it was & the response was 'pound cake'. ?? Umm........liquified pastry? Okay. So the three of us toss it back & Oh. My. Goodness. Liquid pound cake. Fantastic.

I left shortly after that, as the crowd was lame & I was tired.

I did get a whole text conversation on my ride home from the Marine. He's not big on talking on the phone, but he'll text a novella. Odd.