Sunday, December 16, 2007

Dr. Seuss + Tim Burton Nativity Scriptures + The Who's Tommy = Trans Siberian Orchestra

Friday was a hectic day for me. I had a meeting from 11-1. Then I had to change into party clothes to go to the College's Holiday soire. Put in my appearance & left only to hit traffic--going west--at 4pm. I hopped into going-out clothes to meet Crak & Blonde at Cozy Mel's for dinner.

Cozy Mel......yum. It was so nice to sit & chat with the gals without the pounding music and the throbbing singles looking for a hook-up.

We wrapped it up & headed over to the Coliseum to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Crak had been asking people for three years to attend this concert. And every year I would say "Who?" And she would say "You know the 'dun dun du dun....' song? I want to see them." And by the time I would figure it out, tickets have come and gone. This year I agreed. The three of us drove over to what I thought would be a quiet concert (audience-wise) and an early evening.

So. Wrong.

The Coliseum was packed and people filled in the seats. When the show began, we were greeted with a song and lights and effects. Two of the guitarists would run back & forth and climb two HUGE platforms to excite the crowd with the talent. And then it happened. A man came out on stage and began a narrative. Hmmm. Electric guitars. Electric keyboards. Electric violins. And a narrator? Think the dancer from Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Who gave us some odd rendition of their synthesized version of the Nativity. Some angel flies over the earth and sees that there are no stars in Serejevo. Somewhere in the next hour, the angel found his way to NYC. And was guided to a lost pregnant runaway who couldn't find stars to guide her so she found the neon sign of a bar.

I was lost. And I felt as if I was being sucked in to some cult. Blonde & I just kept looking and Crak. At 9:30, when the odd tale was over, the guitarist came out and said he hoped we enjoyed the first half of the show. First half? What? There's more? Oh no!

The second half was amazing! It opened with 'Flight of the Bumble Bee' and went on for an hour and a half to end with the 'Carol of the Bells'......the one you hear from them on the radio. The man who is credited with putting TSO (that's what people were chanting since Trans Siberian Orchestra would take WAY TOO LONG) came out and said he was beyond honored to introduce the celebrity for the evening. And out came Roger Daultry. You know, The Who. See? I knew there was a touch of 'Tommy' in this. The stadium errupted into screams, shrieks, and an energy level I have never experienced before at any event.

Wow.

A once-in-a-lifetime event.
That's all I am going to say.